Question Details
Inflammatory Bowel Disase In A Dog
by DWT - January 19, 2017    View Case Report
Hey Steve. Haven't visited in a while. Hope things are going well for you. I just started working on O'Malley. He is a neutered male Wheaton that is 2.5 yrs old. He was presented with a diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disease confirmed by ultrasound and biopsy. He has a long history of intermittent anorexia, diarrhea He usually does not vomit but has started to recently and the caretaker is seeing frank blood in the vomitus. He also has a long history of allergies with constant itching and intermittent dermatitis. He was food tested (using saliva) and had several foods that he was sensitive to.

The dilemma that I face is that he has been on steroids so long the current TCVM profile is certainly reflecting that. He is a really friendly dog and very active, but the TCVM patterns reflect the steroids more than the underlying issues. He is a friendly fellow and now has a pendulous abdomen, thin, sparse and brittle dry hair coat. His tongue is pale-pink with little coat and his pulse is deep and easily compressed. He now prefers to stay warm.

His history suggests that he has had predominant damp and heat issues and his sensitivity to food and friendly personality would reflect primary spleen imbalances. She has alway fed prescription kibble and I am working him onto a wholesome, fresh diet at this time.

Should I proceed using herbs that are suggestive of his current profile or should I go directly at the root imbalances? I am tempted to use San Ren Tang even though he is now chilly? Thanks.
Replies
by naturevet
January 24, 2017
Hi Diane,

I agree with your Damp Heat assessment, and would suggest starting with Si Miao San

The long term steroid use appears to be generating iatrogenic Cushing's disease. From a Chinese medical perspective, though, there are no iatrogenic conditions - just aggravations of innate tendencies. Cushings is usually a Damp Heat condition in Chinese medicine, and is this likely arising from the same Damp Heat that is probably a driver of the IBD. Thus one formula can address both conditions, I believe, as well as potentially the dermatitis

I hear what you're saying about coolness. However, long term damage to Blood and Yin by Damp Heat can create Blood deficiency, and with that a superficial chilliness.

If you're quite sure, however, that he's too cold, then I'd wonder about Chu Shi Wei Ling Tang. This augmentation of Wei Ling Tang might address the skin condition, even as the Wei Ling Tang at its core addresses long term IBD and even the insulin resistance characteristic of Cushings. So, for a Cold, dog (with, for example a cold tongue and overt sun-seeking), it would be my first choice.

Hopefully one of these resonates with you. Definitely the diet needs to be changed for this dog to be free of drugs (and herbs) and cured of all problems.

Good luck going forward!

Steve
by DWT
July 11, 2017
Hi Steve,

Need some more help with this fellow. I have been treating him for a whole host of problems (IBD, allergies, etc). He was converted to fresh food completely with digestive enzymes, probiotics, bone broth and coconut oil. He has been on Three Seeds for months but little improvement. Due to her drive over, she was seeing another acupuncturist but she came back in today. Update: Currently on budesonide once a day for IBD (if she reduces dosage he gets the runs with mucous and frank blood), Cerenia most days (if he doesn't get it he bloats, belches, abdominal pain and anorexia, hyper salivation and nausea), Zyrtec daily for itching, Tylan bid for IBD, Proin for urinary incontinence (O tried restore restraint but did not work), Mylam? for gas (helps per O), and milk thistle. Regular vet (interest) put him back on rx. ID diet kibble. Ouch.

His hair coat is very dry, he is overweight, sluggish, poor appetite, seeks cool, normal water intake, Happy, earth type. Tongue- pale-pink, thin, small amount clear coat. Pulse- deep, easily compressed. I was thinking focusing on stagnation even though I am not detecting it with tongue or pulse. Lost.

I told her that my goal was to get him well, off all meds and then I will retire happily. Thanks for all your help. Dennis T.
by naturevet
July 14, 2017
Hi Dennis,

You may still be able to retire yet. Any case that is dependent upon steroids is likely in need of Si Miao San, which will lessen the requirement for the drug, and counteract insulin resistance side effects (obesity, perpetuation of inflammation) at the same time.

At the same time, the dry coat suggests Blood deficiency, so you may need to either add Dang Gui to the SMS (once the case is under more control, not now) or use Wei Ling Tang concomitantly. The latter will address some of those upper GI symptoms, and better support Blood formation, by providing more support for the Spleen.

I see you tried to get around using the two together, hoping that San Ren Tang would work as a sort of middle-of-the-road therapy between the two formulas I originally suggested. Unfortunately, it's not quite equal to the combination of SMS + WLT. At a minimum, you'll need to start the SMS.

Also see if you can get the diet changed back. Guaranteed this dog will not be cured on kibble. Perhaps she needs to see the SMS work a little, helping reduce dependence on the other drugs. If so, that should be possible, but results to SMS will be limited by the processed diet. Just make sure she knows that.

Hope that helps you out!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply