Question Details
Pemphigus Erythematosus In A Dog
by tracyb - June 21, 2021    View Case Report
Buddy is a 5 year old mc goldendoodle presenting for pemphigus erythematosus
9/20, began having nose/ nasal planum and periocular alopecia, erythema, crust, blister, depigmentation
this was never pruritic
Improved with prednisone
the pred was tapered due to PU/PD, increased alk phos (since resolved)
Atopica 50 mg PO q 24 improved but did not acheive remission
Atopica was recently increased 75 mg AM/ 50 mg PM with further improvement.
pulse slippery, does not improve with needling GB34 or BL 40 though those points were active
tongue lavender
weight =31 lbs bcs 5/6
had a sebaceous cyst left shoulder which ruptured
rapid diet change has resulted in diarrhea with mucus and urgency
seeks hard surfaces and cold areas.
he is active if someone plays with him but not very high energy
current diet: Fromm chicken and turkey kibble with added grains

We are planning to change to a higher protein homemade diet or as close as we can get to it.

I feel that Damp Heat is the most prominent pattern I see so my first thought would be Si Miao San if I didn’t have the pemphigus diagnosis. Or maybe San Ren Tang, I would call him moderately hot.

My other thought is Xiao Chai Hu Tang since the lavender tongue indicates stagnation and GB34 was super active

However, it looks like something like Hoxsey like formula or Qing Yin Tang is more frequently used with pemphigus, however those don’t really match his presentation.

Would SMS be appropriate for pemphigus? Or something I'm not thinking of?
Replies
by naturevet
June 22, 2021
Hi Tracy,

The lack of impact of GB 34 is surprising, given its activity. In late summer, it would be tonification that would improve the pulse. In spring to early summer, it would be sedation. If the wrong stimulus is provided to the point, the pulse won't improve.

The other possibility is that this is a raging Damp Heat case. High activity at ST 36 could conceivably be mistaken for activity at GB 34. The former would be consistent with Damp Heat. Improvement in any symptoms on a real food or raw diet (or even just freeze-dried diets) would confirm Damp Heat.

Si Miao San is a great place to start for Damp Heat cases. Hoxsey is a Damp Heat formula and could further enhance improvements.

Having said that, periocular dermatitis is almost always associated with Shao Yang disharmony, for which GB points and Minor Bupleurum are good treatments. If there was no improvement on a real food diet, then it would make the latter more likely.

Hopefully this gives you enough information to get started! I'm 100% sure you can markedly improve this dog, once the diagnosis is established. You can actually try using SMS and XCHT (Minor Bupleurum) together, if you're just not sure.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply