Question Details
Immune Mediated Polyarthritis In A Dog
by fdzenitsky - January 24, 2022    View Case Report
Hello Steve!

Molly, an 8YO SF Cockapoo had a history of Damp symptoms before developing IMPA in early 2020 about 2 months post mega vaccinations. She was managed w/ Cyclosporine and high prednisone (20mg/day) for a year and improved, but relapsed when pred was lowered. The pred caused weight gain, ^ALP, and pelvic/epaxial atrophy. I took over her case in July 2021, she was weaned off the pred by then, still on cyclosporine, not a lot of joint effusion but having a lot of trouble getting up and is plantigrade. She has prominent gluteal fat pads, which I was taught suggests anterior pituitary dysfunction. I wonder what you think about that? T is pale w/ red margins, white coat, dry; P is deep, thin, weak, slippery. Blood tests showed Deficiency, but symptoms were mostly Damp Heat.

I researched on Cured Cases how to approach IMPA and started her on 5mg prednisolone (temporarily I hoped until the herbs took effect), YYRT and XFHMY and transitioned to a raw commercial diet. She was PU/PD/PP and panting on 5mg pred, so reduced it to 2.5mg/day and she was doing quite well. We can’t go to pred EOD w/o her backsliding. On recheck 4 weeks later, there is still a thermal increase at her hips, stifles, and elbows, less so carpal/tarsal joints, still struggling to rise. T is pale pink w/ lavender, gums warm pink; P is deep, deficient. At this time, I add SMS to be given in the evenings to extend the pred effect, I also add 20g of Yin Chen Hao Tang to the YYRT. This seems to work better for her.

On recheck in December, her owner thinks she is doing well, but has random shivers. She had new warts/cysts on dorsal trunk and muzzle, a firm mass under the R gluteal pad, minimal effusion, so now I appreciate crepitus in L tarsal joint, reduced flexion L carpus, and 2/4 R MLP. I forgot to record T&P. Blood tests show even more Liver Blood Def. (quite low ALT, ALP, BUN, Cr, TRI, and MCHC; and RBC, HCT, HGB on low end or normal). At this time, I really want to add a Blood tonic, but hesitate, thinking it will negate the Damp draining and Heat clearing effect of the herbs v IMPA and the YYRT and SMS do have Tonify as a secondary effect.

It's the holidays, CIVT is on break, I don’t phone a friend, I don't change anything. Then, earlier this month, she developed what looked like a Staph. Lesion on her chest that spread to the L axilla, very itchy. I didn’t see her and recommended a topical salve and to increase the SMS to BID. When I do check her 10 days later, the lesions are resolving, and skin is only mildly inflamed. T is pale lavender and fleshy; P is deep, wiry. She is getting around well, even trotting now. Still hesitating to tonify, I go w/ XCHJQJT v subacute Damp Heat w/ Wind Invasion. I also thought it appropriate v her immune-mediated disease and T&P. But now, more similar lesions near mole on her RF leg and she is scratching under her chin with new lesions there.

Sooo, as you can tell, I’m confused by the opposing hemodynamic needs and my incomplete understanding of this case with such a mix of Excess and Deficiency. I really think she needs a Blood tonic. Can I safely tonify while continuing the IMPA herbs? If so, how? Would it have been okay to add a little DGS to the SMS? Roll in DGSYS, SWXFY or XYS and with any of these formulas, keep the XCHJQJT or not? It’s a lot of herbs! I seek to simplify w/o further aggravating this patient, first IMPA case for me. My other question is when and how to wean off the IMPA formulas, how to know their work is done? Is it in this case her worsening Blood Def.? I am seeing some Stasis, but probably from Blood Def., would you agree or more likely TBO? I’m not seeing a clear benefit from diet though she has lost 3.5 lbs.

Thanks for your feedback once again!
Franchesca
Replies
by naturevet
January 26, 2022
Hi Franchesca

You don't mention what diet you're using, but I assume it's a real food meat- and vegetable-based diet? If not, that's the direction I'd go in.

It seems when the SMS was increased, the owner saw an improvement, suggesting that is the direction to go in - cooling and draining - despite the pulse. I'd thus milk that Damp Heat angle all I can first, before changing gears. The benefit of something that is cooling suggests we should get rid of what is Heating, so I'd phase out the YYRT and the XCHT. You can keep the Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin, since it helps keep the circulation mobilized in Damp Heat/Blood Stasis cases, countering that deep pulse.

If the dog is better still after making those changes, then the dynamic would seem to be Damp -> Stasis -> Damp/Stasis Heat; and SP def -> Damp; and SP def -> Blood deficiency. As you've noted, we've addressed all but the Blood deficiency. I'd remove the YYRT first, before adding the Dang Gui in, both to confirm that cooling is truly the right direction, and to make sure as we layer warming Dang Gui in, we don't aggravate things too much because warming YYRT is still in play. Dang Gui alone isn't nearly as warming as YYRT and may be well tolerated, except if the two are used together. The response to SMS suggests Heat and acute inflammation was there to a greater degree than you could appreciate, particularly with that deep pulse. If we add Dang Gui to YYRT, we could flare it up all over again.

That's my read of things, anyway. Hopefully it makes sense. Follow up as you make changes, so we can re-interpret the signs and pivot as needed, to get the dog sooner rather than later. You're doing well so far, though!

Steve
by fdzenitsky
September 6, 2022
Hi Steve,

Update on this dog and, yes, doing well on a real food diet for a year or more and has lost 5 lbs., but still has those prominent gluteal fat pads that accent that bootie!

Molly responded well to the SMS + DGS and XFHMY, but is reliant on 2.5 mg prednisolone daily to move well. Also on Myristin and omega-3. Since the combination was working, I kept up the SMS BID for it's anti-inflam effect, but no longer think it is appropriate and would like your input on where to go next to better support her chronic joint issues combined w/ Deficiency.

I saw her last week, first time in 6 months, and was surprised to see the changes in her joints and overall appearance of Deficiency. The owner thinks she's pretty comfortable and doing well considering, so I wasn't alerted earlier. When she first presented to me a year ago, she was already plantigrade on all 4, her internist said it was from long-term steroids used to treat her IMPA. On exam last week, both elbows are abducted now with carpi adducted and toes inverted or rotated laterally like a seal. The first joint on her toes is enlarged, crepitus in both elbows and carpi. Left hip is abducted, bilaterally enlarged stifles w/ moderate crepitus. No big skin complaints, but she does have a few crusts and sebaceous cyst-like growth on dorsum and lateral flank. Coat looks good, no itchiness. T is pale, P is deep and deficient w/ tone. Other signs of Deficiency: low AST, ALT, Cr, BUN, Tri, and Amylase and mildly elevated ALP (201).

I wonder if I exasperated her issues on the SMS too long, don't think enough tonification w/ the DGS and circulatory effect is not best for perfusing chronic joint issues. I'm assuming the XFHMY is long-term in these cases or has that run its course too w/ its lack of tonics? I'm considering a change go XHLD for Blood Stasis and maybe DGSYS or XYS to tonify. Your thoughts? Are there herbs or formulas to strengthen the tendons and ligaments so that, with carpus and tarsus braces and PT, we can stabilize or partially reverse the joint conformity changes and keep her more comfortable long-term?

Many thanks!
Franchesca
by naturevet
September 7, 2022
I like your idea, Franchesca, of combining Xiao Huo Luo Dan and Xiao Yao San. We can probably dispense with the current regimen for now, unless Dampness reappears (e.g., in the form of puffy joints again).

The stance is a way of creating strength in the legs by placing tension directly on ligaments, since the muscles have lost a lot of power. For muscles to regain their power, they need either Qi or Yang. Starting with XHLD explores Yang tonification first. If that doesn't work, we can look at Ginseng based formulas instead. Xiao Yao San is a safe Blood tonic, well indicated by the low liver enzymes, that gives the XHLD something to work with.

Note that chiropractic can great improve muscular strength by relieving pressure on nerve roots. If that hasn't been explored yet, add that to your list.

Lastly, I looked into this product after it was brought up on Ask Dr. Steve. It does have some research and testing behind it, so it's probably worth a shot for building up muscle volume and power.

Hope that helps!

Steve
by fdzenitsky
September 7, 2022
Thanks Steve, I'll roll those in BID and wean off the XFHMY and SMS. And, duh chiro, I'll get that going too. You mention a product, but not the name? Would it be Myos Canine Muscle formula?
by naturevet
September 7, 2022
Yes, that's right

Good luck!

S
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply