Question Details
Villonodular Synovitis In A Dog
by herblmt - June 20, 2022    View Case Report
8 year old husky with villonodular synovitis on the R hock.
Tongue pale/dry, years normal /cool,pulse equal normal

All blood normal, fit and no other complains.Eats raw.

Can you suggest some herbals.

Thank you
Lavinia
Replies
by naturevet
June 22, 2022
Hi there,

I would suggest Minor Bupleurum teamed with a Blood mover like Xiao Huo Luo Dan.

Any time there is an immune-mediated disorder, I think of Minor Bupleurum, as that is its forte. When it is affecting the limbs like that, you can juice up its anti-inflammatory effects by adding about 15g of Qin Jiao per 100g of Xiao Chai Hu Tang (Minor Bupleurum). Kan Essentials has a ready-made version: Benefit Hips and Knees. If you use it, I would dose more liberally than Kan suggests, following the Natural Path Herb Company dosing suggestions.. Minor Bupleurum calms down excessive systemic immune responses that are behind immune mediated disease and acts at the source to stop them from developing in the first place.

The 'source' appears to be 'leaky gut', which Minor Bupleurum helps remedy. It's only in the past few years that research has confirmed the suspicion that a leaky gut is behind a lot of orthopedic inflammation, especially the immune mediated versions. To enhance efficacy, you could add in a Lactobacillus probiotic. Note that if this is a MB case, the raw needs to be augmented with a fermentable carbohydrate and a soluble fiber, so the right bacteria can be supported that help resolve the leaky gut and its immune consequences.

Lastly, Blood moving herbs like Turmeric and Boswelia are helpful, acting similarly to NSAIDs, but helping actively resolve the inflammation, unlike NSAIDs.

In summary, the above approach is often what we use for CCL tears as well, which makes sense, since cruciate tears are considered sister conditions to villonodular synovitis.

Hopefully this helps you out!

Steve
by herblmt
June 22, 2022
I am so grateful for your answer
I have both herbs
And specifically I have benefits hips and knees
And minor Bupleurum
I am amazed how many thinks it is good for
I have both of your books
Natural path and the big book
Thank you again