Question Details
Yorkie With Anxiety
by animalacupuncture - January 8, 2010
Hi Steve,
I am working on an unusual case. Lily is a six year old Yorkshire Terrier. She has experienced periods of anxiety over the past three to four years, but recently they have become much more frequent. During the episodes, she transforms from a "normal" state to an "anxious" state over a matter of minutes. During these episodes, she is very agitated, can't get comfortable, will frantically lick anything and everything (animate and innanimate) and she bleeds into her mouth. The owner describes it as if Lily's skin is crawling (it almost sounds to me like cats that have hyperesthesia).Historically only some of the episodes were associated with bleeding, but recently every time she has an episode, blood is visible in her mouth. I have seen this twice in my office. The episodes last one to two days. When bleeding occurs, it only lasts about ten minutes and then is gone.
Blood work is unremarkable, except that recently her rbc is in the high normal range. Her most recent blood sample was also lipemic. A clotting profile is normal, except an elevated fibrinogen.
I began to see her in early November. Her tongue has a thin white coating and is slightly purple. Her pulses are deep and a bit wiry. She has active points at Liv 8 and GB 33. She responds to acupuncture (points I have treated are BL 17,BL 18 Liv 3, Liv 8, and GB 33). When these points were tonified, her pulses improved and the time between episodes increased. I first prescribed Tian Ma Gou Teng Yin, but there was little response. I then tried Bu Gan Tang. Again there was little response - no real change in the frequency or severity of episodes.
My thinking is that there is internal wind and stagnation. I appreciate any advice you can provide.
Thanks.
Gary Stuer
Bethel, Maine
Replies
by naturevet
January 8, 2010
Yes, very strange indeed.

Any chance the dog is catching her lip as she closes her mouth; biting her tongue; or has some sort of painful malocclusion? Your description reminds me of how people behave when they bite their tongues by accident.

Assuming this would have been too obvious for you to miss, you're left with treating according to pulse, tongue, points, and symptoms, as you have indeed been doing. The pulse suggests a need to disperse; the tongue suggests stasis; the lesion might include a bleeding pharyngeal mass (perhaps occasionally blocking respiration through the nose and eliciting panic, before the blood drains into the mouth and throat); and the points indicate a need to tonify the Liver, and therefore Blood.

Putting that all together, the first formula I think of is Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang. It tonifies Blood, addresses lesions (including masses and tumors) of the upper body, and moves Blood. In the absence of anything more definitive, it's what I'd try. If it persists, I would guess that a radiograph of the nasal cavity is appropriate.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Steve
by animalacupuncture
January 8, 2010
Thanks for the help Steve. I neglected to mention that radiographs were negative for neoplasia and that the blood appears to be coming from somewhere beyond the oropharynx. When I observed the bleeding in my office, there was no sign of oral or dental pathology. The owner has declined further workup including endoscopy. I will try the herb you suggested and give an update when it is appropriate.
thanks again.
Gary
by animalacupuncture
January 15, 2010
Steve,
I have not started this dog on Xue Fu Zhu Tang yet. I recommended a fasting triglyceride level and the level was 945!. Would this affect your recommendation?
Thanks.
Gary
by naturevet
January 17, 2010
Hi Gary,

Blood moving formulas are generally effective at addressing hyperlipidemia. It's a common property of blood-moving herbs, so it's fine to try.

Good luck,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply