Question Details
Agghression Is A Bloodhound
by animalacupuncture - January 15, 2010
I am treating a bloodhound for behavior problems. He is a rescue dog, so the history is not very well known. He is two years old and neutered. Two weeks ago, I examioned him for the first time - he is not easy to work on. He was only on a dry kibble food which has been switched to all fresh. His active points (as best as I could tell) were BL 17, 20, and a Gall Bladder point on his rear leg (32?). I was unable to do acupuncture. His tongue looked normal (from a distance). Pulses were wiry and deep. He had excess saliva around his mouth and "soupy" ears. The skin was normal and before taking herbs had no digestive signs.
I prescribed Long Dan Er Miao San. After five doses he began to vomit and continued even after the herb was discontinued. It occurred over New Year's holiday so he was brought to an emergency clinic. Because they could not rule out a foreign body, he was explored. Nothing was found except that his intestines were gas filled. They performed a preventative gastropexy
I rechecked him this past week and sedated him to remove staples. The active points were still the same. His pulses seemed to improve by sedating all the mentioned points, but I'm not sure if that info is reliable since he was so deeply sedated (domitor/torbugesic combo).
When I first evaluated him, I could not decide if this was primarily a dampness issue or blood deficiency. Since he seemed to react to the herb, my conclusion is that his primary issues is likely blood deficiency. Could you please comment and make some suggestions for herbs. Thanks for your assistance.
Gary
Replies
by animalacupuncture
January 15, 2010
Of course the title should read "Aggression" in a Bloodhound. Ooops!
by naturevet
January 17, 2010
Hi Gary,

The deep wiry pulse indicates a general need for a dispersing effect. LDEMS is more of a draining and sedating formula. Given that it is also drying, I like your idea that the apparent reaction to it implied it created Liver Blood deficiency, and a secondary disruption of the Liver's role in regulating peristalsis.

If the above is accurate, we need a hydrating formula that regulates the flow of Qi (thereby regulating peristalsis and also countering irritability). The formula I'd reach for next is probably Xiao Yao San (Rambling Ease Powder). Keep in mind that it can take a couple of months for aggression problems to substantially abate. In our clinic we would try to hurry things along with a homeopathic, most likely Lachesis 30C. If the dog is generally 'warm blooded' and has a temper bordering on rage, then it's a good one to try giving once or twice daily as well. It's easy to source at organic grocers like Whole Foods.

Hope that helps!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply