Question Details
Arthritis And Spondylosis In A Dog
by LJH - March 18, 2016    View Case Report
Hi Steve, I've just seen a 12yr M(N) lab with several issues, but whose mobility problems are causing the most concern for the owners at the moment. He had been on Deramaxx and was doing very well . He has had a history of elevated Alk Phos for several years(other liver enzymes OK) but Alk Phos went up to over 1000. NSAIDS were discontinued, and Therabites Hepato Support, and SAMe were started and the Alk Phos dropped to about 500. SAMe was stopped and levels have stayed about the same. The dog developed Pannus a couple of years ago and it is currently controlled with Maxi Dex drops. In addition he has been diagnosed in the last year with Laryngeal Paralysis. Hind legs are weak and sometimes trembling, with some muscle atrophy, but good knuckling response. Very stiff on getting up, improves with gentle motion, worsens with further exertion and will begin dragging hind toes a bit. Worse in cold damp weather. Spondylosis and arthritis on xray . Hips sore and reduced ROM never xrayed. Most sensitive on palpating BL-25, 27, 28, 54 GB-27,29, esp.GB30. Dips at BL-18,20,23, ST-36.No problems with ears or anal glands or hotspots. Had one episode lipfold dermatitis and a sebaceous cyst. Haircoat dull and dry. and nails brittle. Went grey quite young.Very food driven, no V/D unless gets a hold of something he shouldn't ,no increase in drinking. Some flatulence.Used to be very overweight but only a little now, staying steady. Seeks shade in summer. Afraid of loud noises and will act very aggressive in a kennel but not bite etc. if actually go to handle him despite the show. Sleeps deeply and snores and dreams. He has a lot of Lipomas and several small skin masses. Tongue sl pale pink, sl moist, a bit flabby. Pulse 100bpm a bit thin, fairly strong, sl. wiry, improved with needling GB 30 (though felt then almost a bit slippery) along with BL-18, BL-23 BL-60/KI-3,BL-27, ST-36. I would like to start him on herbs compatible with all his issues. He has a number of Damp Heat and Stasis indications but now showing more Blood deficiency. The laryngeal paralysis and reactive GB points would seem to be appropriate for XCHT but with only the elevated Alk Phos would SMS be worth considering? I know LDXGT is often recommended with Pannus but he seems too deficient. If there were only the arthritis/spondylosis/mobility issues to consider I might look at DHJST along with XCHT(though he's not better with rest and inflammation maybe too marked?), and even XFHMY often does well with spondylosis Sorry for another very lengthy email but your suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks again, Llewanda
Replies
by LJH
March 22, 2016
Hi Steve,
Just wanted to update on this dog. Seemed to be doing much better after 1st acupuncture but a week later appetite was reduced and he seemed to be drinking a lot in the morning. Because bloodwork hadn't been done in awhile rDVM repeated finding Alk Phos now up to 1400U/L, ALT sl up at 169 but Amylase and Lipase both increased (1660 and 5380U/L) Xray not definitive so are going to do ultrasound as soon as possible. I saw the dog briefly today and his tongue was more flabby, darker pink with a bit purplish tinge (had been panting). Pulse seemed a bit slippery and still rapid. BL 25, 27, 28 less sensitive but GB 30 still very sensitive.Thanks, Llewanda
by naturevet
March 23, 2016
Hi Llewanda,

Sorry about the delayed reply. This is a very complicated case. When I pick through it all, it seems to me the dog's core issue is a Shao Yang 'excess', causing:

• Yang to be trapped internally (creating the pancreatitis, thirst, Yin deficiency, and liver enzyme elevations)

• Yang to be deficient externally (creating the vulnerability to Wind Cold Damp invasion responsive to your acupuncture treatments)

• Blood stasis in the Shao Yang channels, responsive to NSAIDs

• Spring time aggravations (of the liver and pancreas)

So it makes sense to start with Minor Bupleurum and see if we're right. Since the pulse is now slippery, that might indicate the secondary Yang Ming excess is becoming as prevalent a concern, so if you want, you could see how the dog does on Da Chai Hu Tang (Major Bupleurum Combination). It's a stronger formula, though, so if you feel like baby-stepping your way in, you should use Minor Bupleurum alone, or perhaps even Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang.

Hope that helps you out. Please let us know how this complicated case unfolds

Steve
by LJH
March 26, 2016
Hi again,
Ultrasound on this dog showed vacuolar hepatopathy, not able to visualize the pancreas. rDVM thought there might be a mass present in the liver but couldn't clearly visualize with positioning. May repeat in a while. In mean time will start XCHT. Pulse was more wiry again when I saw him yesterday. If a mass is confirmed wondered about possibly introducing Ge Xia Zhu Yu Tang as well down the road. Thanks so much for all of your help,Llewanda
by naturevet
March 29, 2016
Hi Llewanda,

That's a good idea, the GXZYT, if the response to the XCHT is only partial, and the next step seems to be to address Blood stasis

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply